When peace, like a river

by Carey H.

What hymn or song speaks to me most?
The most meaningful hymn to me is “When Peace, like a river” by Horatio Spafford. Although, many songs and hymns are close to my heart; this hymn seems to speak to me on such a personal level.

Horatio Spafford was a Chicago businessman. He was taking his wife, Anna, and their four daughters to Europe when a last minute business crisis prevented him from making the trip with them. During the voyage, the ship sank in a violent storm and only Anna survived.

When Horatio Spafford learned of the terrible tragedy, he immediately set sail for Wales to reunite with his wife. When his ship reached the spot where the children drowned, he expressed both his grief and his faith in a poem:

When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll.
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
“It is well, it is well, with my soul.”

In the years since this wonderful hymn was written in 1857, Horatio Spafford’s words have blessed millions and helped them to find God’s peace in the midst of their tragedies; this is most certainly true for me.

What Bible reading is my best friend?
Romans 8 is the Bible reading that I most often turn to for comfort and strength; in particular verse 28 and verses 38-39.

The entire chapter reaffirms that we are Christ’s children through the Holy Spirit and that nothing in this earthly life can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. Even if we cannot pray or choose not to pray, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and assures us that no matter what may happen to us in this life, good and bad, it all works together for our good according to God’s will.

Romans 8 also validates Christ’s love for us: He died for us, He has forgiven us, He has given Himself to us through the Holy Spirit. If we are His, nothing can separate us from His love—what a wonderful, joyous, hopeful blessing! Amen.

No comments: