Frank & Laverne

by Carol B.

Frank was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer in April of 2009. He was Walt's nephew and a truly unique person. Frank was kindhearted, caring, compassionate and very generous of his time and talents to help others. He was also passionate about animals, especially his three Maine Coon cats. Loving and caring for animals is the important and close bond we shared. When Shelby, our Rottweiler, passed away in 2008 as a result of an aggressive cancer, it was Frank who called to express his sorrow and to offer consolation. He knew the pain and anguish of losing a beloved companion. I will never forget his kindness and how he helped me through that time

I began to walk dogs at the CASPA for my grief therapy and a month later met Laverne, a Black and Tan Coonhound estimated to be about 8 years old. She was picked up as a stray two months prior and had many medical problems. After her treatment she was ready for adoption. She seemed lethargic, closed down emotionally and needed love and attention. I thought, "You're old, you've got health problems and no one is going to adopt you". So, naturally, I did.

Frank met Laverne for the first time when we traveled to Connecticut for his father's memorial service and interment. He thought she was a cool dog and they seemed to like each other. Their next meeting was last July after Frank's diagnosis. He was receiving chemo-therapy but it was only palliative and his condition was in decline. On October 8th we drove to Connecticut for another visit. Early the next morning, Frank was hospitalized with breathing difficulty.

We were able to visit him several days later. In a little over two hours we covered many subjects. Even though Frank was weak, he insisted on talking and sharing his thoughts and concerns about the care of his beloved cats and his life and coming death with us. He said he accepted that he was dying and hoped he would be with God in a better place. He told us of discussions he had with friends regarding life after death and asking "Is there More? Well, Frank being Frank, he said he would try to return after death to let them know the answer. In listening to him, I realized that was my question too and asked him to add me to the list of people to contact. He began to explain that he wasn't sure how it would work. "It's not like I would just give you a poke". He said it would probably be subtle, that I would have to be attentive and be open. It would be something ordinary.

That was the last conversation we would have with Frank. We returned to Virginia the next day October 13th. Frank was moved to Hospice a couple of days later. His Mom, Dorothy, said the day we visited was really the last day that he was strong enough to carry on much of a conversation.

One week later we got the phone call in the morning telling us of Frank's passing the night before. I began to plan and get ready for the return to Connecticut for the funeral.

Now, Laverne has many quirks one of which is an aversion to thunderstorms. She can sense one coming 30 minutes before we can hear it in the distance. She pants and paces and drools and shakes. I noticed her walking into the dining room and standing there. This is unusual since she only uses this room as "pass thru". Her body was also shaking. I called her into the kitchen to calm her and wondered if there was a storm on the way, however, a look out the window confirmed sun and blue skies. No storm in sight. She returned to the dining room and stood there shaking. This action repeated itself for approximately 1 1/2 hours while I tried to calm her and figure out what was wrong.

I had my arms around her and was talking softly to her when I experienced a sudden and complete sense of calm and a feeling of peace. Frank's words flooded back to me........."it would be subtle, it would be something ordinary". I hugged Laverne and said, "Oh, Laverne, Its just Frank. You know Frank. He's telling us everything is OK! Not 10 seconds later, Laverne stopped shaking, calmly went into the family room, laid down and went fast asleep!

I believe God speaks to us in many ways but we need to be attentive and open and listening for the still small voice. In the beauty of nature and all of God's creations, He says, "I am here, see me!" He speaks to us in our joys and our sorrows. He speaks in the sudden and unexpected glorious flash of a shooting star in the early, still morning after a sudden loss. He speaks through our relationships and close bonds with family and friends, saying, "I am with you, feel my presence!" And yes, even through an old hound dog by the name of Laverne! "THERE IS MORE!"

No comments: